Sculpture by Maker

Philip Lindsey Clark - Biography

(1889-1977). Born in London, the son of the sculptor Robert Lindsey Clark, he studied with his father, at Cheltenham School of Art (1905-10), and at the City and Guilds School, Kennington (1910-14). He received the Distinguished Service Order after the First World War, and on the return of peace continued his training at the Royal Academy Schools (1919-21). He exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1920 to 1952, and also showed work at the Paris Salon from 1921. Clark produced a number of War Memorials, including one for Southwark (1923-4), and one commemorating the Cameronians for Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow. From 1926 to 1928 Clark provided architectural sculpture for buildings in the City by the architect G. Val Myer. From 1930 all his RA exhibits were of religious and often specifically Catholic subjects, and from this time he worked largely on church commissions. He became a Carmelite Tertiary, and eventually retired from London to live in the West Country. Amongst many religious works from his later years one could mention the Hanging Rood (painted and gilded pinewood, 1950) for St Mary’s Church, Crewe, and the reliefs of St Augustine and the Virgin and Child (precast stone, 1962) on the west front of St Augustine’s Church, Hoddesdon, Herts. (Sources: G.M. Waters, Dictionary of British Artists Working 1900--1950, Eastbourne, 1975; J. Johnson and A. Greutzner, The Dictionary of British Artists 1880--1940, Woodbridge, 1976; F. Spalding, Twentieth Century Painters and Sculptors, Woodbridge, 1990; D. Buckman, The Dictionary of British Artists since 1945, Bristol, 1998)

The works of Philip Lindsey Clark:

Crucifix, Chichester

back to top